"Australians and New Zealanders both claim Pavlova and this recipe is so easy it feels like cheating! I first had it when a friend brought it to our final dress rehearsal and begged her for the recipe! It is especially striking when the fruits and berries are in season. Personally, I like to add coconut for the crunch, but it's NOT sweetened coconut – it's unsweetened, in big flakes, and I get it from the fruit and nut guy at our commissary. It's a real crowd pleaser and the best thing about it is you can make it a day ahead. Just allow the meringue to fully cool and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Top with whipped cream and fruit just prior to serving."
- 6 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 cups castor sugar or superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (optional)
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 1 fresh peach - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). You will be turning the temperature down to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) when you put this in to bake. Line a 9 or 10 inch round glass dish with parchment paper.
- Combine the egg whites and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer, or stand mixer using a whisk attachment until able to form soft peaks. Sprinkle in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. Stir in the vanilla and vinegar, and fold in coconut if using. Spread evenly into the prepared glass dish, making sure to spread out to all of the edges.
- Place the Pavlova into the oven, and immediately reduce the temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the top is crisp and a pale straw color. Leave in the oven, and turn off the heat. Let it stay in the oven until the oven has cooled completely.
- Once the Pavlova is cooled, top generously with sweetened whipped cream. Arrange the strawberries, kiwis, peaches and blueberries in beautiful concentric circles on top.
Credit BY:PREGOCOOK PHOTO BY:PREGOCOOK allrecipe.com