"My mother-in-law gave me this recipe. My family puts it on anything from pancakes to vanilla ice cream. It is best served warm, right after making. Fresh blueberries are recommended."
Original recipe yield 6 cups
- 2 quarts blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3 cups white sugar
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place blueberries in a large stockpot and crush with a potato masher. Add water and lemon peel; simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Strain fruit through cheese cloth, metal strainer or food mill to remove pulp and seeds; reserve juice.
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until temperature reaches 260 degrees F (125 degrees C). Add blueberry juice and boil for 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat. Let cool and freeze or can as desired.
SUBMITTED BY: Ellen Wojdyla PHOTO BY: Christine allrecipe.com